Our History

In 1929, members of the Woman’s Club of St. Marys recognized the need to promote the health of the community and to provide for the care of the sick in their homes. They soon hired Mrs. Rose Fleming as the first Community Nurse. With no office to work from, she received phone calls in her home. Volunteers from the Woman’s Club would relay calls and messages as she visited the sick within the community. Little did these community-minded women know that through their vision and foresight their ancestors would reap the benefits of their efforts for many decades to come.

From this humble beginning in 1929, Community Nurses has developed and grown into the premier home care agency in the region. For over eight decades, our organization has provided services to patients and clients of all ages, from infants to the elderly. Since 1997, Community Nurses has been affiliated with Penn Highlands Elk.

Today Community Nurses, Inc. and its subsidiary organizations employ over 275 individuals who provide home health, hospice, private duty services, adult day services, and community health and education to thousands of area residents each year